1931 Alvis TK 12/60 Beetleback (Deposit Taken)
Car number 14075
Chassis No 9113
Engine No 9605
Offered from long-term single-family ownership, the first family member being Mr Leslie Lansdowne, who acquired WV310 from Skurrays of Swindon in 1932. Ownership continued until his death in 1975. MOT’s confirm WV301 was still in regular use at this time.
Leslie bequeathed WV301 to his niece, Marion Campbell of Lincoln and nephew Alan Bland of Berkhampsted. At this point WV310 was moved from Yeovil to Marion’s family farm in Lincolnshire, where WV310 was placed in a barn to be dry stored, the registration document being placed in nephew Alan Bland’s name. Once there WV310 remained incarcerated, waiting for fresh enthusiasm.
This enthusiasm came in the form of Marion’s son Andrew and his new found friend and local car enthusiast, engineer and restorer, Peter Leech. Peter and the Campbell family came to an agreement in 1988. This agreement witnessed Peter and Andrew Campbell beginning a 6-year nut and bolt restoration of WV310. This is fastidiously documented in the extensive history file, which including 3 photograph albums. Restoration work also included the reconstruction of the original body frame. This was completed by ‘Wilkinson of Derby’ under the watch full eye of Frank Gilbert.
On the 30th April 1994 the rejuvenated WV310 was presented for MOT in Grantham. Sadly Alan Bland had died earlier that same year, so never witness her completion. At this point family ownership passed wholly to Andrew Campbell, who had invested £32,000 on top of Peter’s 420 hours of uncharged work.
Since completion in April 1994, WV310, in the hands of Peter and Andrew has covered a mere 11,000 miles in 23 years.
Offered for sale from our Foxfields facility, WV310 is possibly the finest 1931 TK 12/60 to be offered on the market, sporting matching numbers, and single family ownership from new. With its twin carburettor 1645cc four cylinder engine, the Alvis 12/60 is a very capable and desirable car. It is painted in the original colour scheme of Apple Green with green leather and has a good hood and sidescreens.
It’s not every day a car arrives into stock with a large box of files titled ‘Alvis 12/60 86 years of history’! This large box contains many files along with 3 photo albums covering the 6 year restoration which was completed in 1994. There is also a number of letters from Alvis, the first dated 1936. This file is titled Correspondence and Notes Dated 1936 to 1975!
Car number 14075 was dispatched on the 19th November 1931 to Skurrays of Swindon a name which sadly disappeared from Swindon in 2016, after 120 years of trading. History alludes to the fact that car 14075 was more than likely used by Skurrays as a demonstrator and first registered on the 30th November 1931, this being confirmed by the two continuation log books. The factory records also confirm the coachwork being Carbodies two seater sports body (Beetleback), number 3958.